Why You Need Demountable Walls in Your Office
Many organizations face the unique challenges associated with constantly fluctuating collaborative office space requirements. Whether your organization is growing at a rapid rate, adapting to new remote work policies, or experiencing any other changes in your workspace needs, you may be searching for an ideal solution that can keep up. Demountable walls can be the perfect answer.
You can check all the boxes with demountable walls, creating an office space that is aesthetically attractive, practical, and flexible. Compared to traditional wall build outs, demountable walls have quickly become the go-to option for organizations of all types and sizes.
In this useful guide, we’re taking a closer look at the innovative concept of demountable walls, explaining key basics, including:
- What are demountable walls?
- How do demountable walls work?
- Why are demountable walls beneficial?
- How do demountable walls compare to drywall?
What are Demountable Walls?
Also referred to as “architectural walls,” demountable walls are moveable, reusable walls that you can use in a multitude of ways within an office environment. They are installed using ceiling and/or floor tracks, allowing fuss-free reconfiguration.
Types of Demountable Walls
There are two main types of architectural walls, each characterized by how they are constructed:
- Unitized wall systems are prefabricated units/panels that require only the most basic of assembly and installation processes. They generally come in a set assortment of sizes.
- Modular systems are parametric, which means that they are not generally limited according to the standard sizes produced by manufacturers. They arrive in more pieces and thus require a bit more time and effort to install. However, because you can be extremely precise in their specifications, modular systems make it possible to tailor a set-up to your exact needs. Modular systems are also often available in many different materials and with various add-on features.
Why Use Demountable Walls?
Demountable walls are the ultimate choice regarding cost-effective flexibility, presenting a functional alternative to permanent walls and full-scale office remodeling projects.
Since these walls make it possible to configure and reconfigure a space according to evolving needs, demountable walls are an efficient and innovative solution that can be well-suited to virtually any organization/company. Rather than constructing various rooms and spaces within an office building, these movable walls allow your organization to create usable zones for individual work, collaboration, and other purposes.
Some of the reasons to use demountable walls include:
- You need to create privacy. One of the top trends in office design we learned was that people need a certain amount of privacy to focus and feel their best at work. In addition, nurturing collaboration is still a top priority for many organizations. You can create private spaces with demountable walls, reducing noise pollution and other distractions.
- Your organization needs flexibility — every business changes over time, especially in our fast-paced modern world. Demountable walls make it easier for your organization to change and grow without being limited by permanent floor plans and structures. For example, you might need just one huddle room today but several in the future. Reconfigure your demountable walls, and you can scale your interior solutions in no time at all.
- You need to create clear zones within the workspace. For an organization to achieve peak productivity, there needs to be a variety of zones that allow for different types of work, working styles, and so on. Developing an ecosystem of zones is a smart way to support your organization’s needs. You can use demountable walls to set up private, quiet zones, collaborative spaces, large meeting rooms, and even social areas, which all come together to provide an optimal working environment.
- Sustainability is important to your organization. Whether working towards LEED certification or considering your environmental impact as a priority, demountable walls are the ideal choice. Most are made with low-emitting, recycled materials, eliminating concerns of environmentally harmful off-gassing, PVCs, and VOCs. They are also 100% reusable, dramatically reducing waste and keeping excess materials out of landfills.
Benefits of Demountable Walls
There are numerous benefits to using demountable walls, including the following:
- Easy installation, removal, and reconfiguration.
- It can be installed directly over existing flooring. No construction is needed.
- A broad range of styles and options to choose from, including products made with sustainable materials/practices.
- May qualify your organization for LEED credits and/or tax credits.
- A practical solution for customizing a workspace and defining specific zones, allowing a myriad of functional areas to support employee needs and goals.
- Noise-reducing qualities to boost employee focus and productivity.
- Offer a balance of privacy and openness.
- Less expensive than drywall in the long term.
Demountable Walls vs. Drywall
Are you weighing your options between drywall and demountable walls? For the majority of organizations, demountable walls are a far better option.
Not only are demountable walls more cost-effective than drywall, but they are also easier and faster to install. Far less effort and mess are involved in demountable wall installation, and they can be reconfigured and moved easily.
In terms of quality and durability, demountable walls also come out on top. Many demountable wall panels utilize 20 to 25-gauge steel frames, providing far better longevity than standard drywall. With the option to choose from a variety of vinyl and laminate finishes, as well as various fabric coverings, you can customize the demountable walls according to your workspace needs. You can even select demountable glass walls, which lend a certain level of noise reduction and privacy while still maintaining transparency – something that’s not possible with drywall.
Finally, the tax benefits of demountable walls can be a major draw for many organizations. Because demountable walls fall into the category of “tangible personal property,” upwards of 95% of the value depreciation is reached by the seventh year after installation. So although the initial cost of drywall may be somewhat lower because you’ll be waiting for longer for depreciation, the long-term expenses end up being more.
Explore Demountable Walls for the Modern Workplace
It’s never been more important to create workspaces that provide both form and function. By taking a highly intentional approach to office design, as well as incorporating high-quality solutions that are suited to your organization’s needs, you can provide a working environment that empowers your team to maximize productivity and job satisfaction alike.
Collaborative Office Interiors is a leader in contemporary office interior design, offering both professional design services and modern office furniture. Our Houston office furniture showroom serves clients from all over the country, supporting organizations that want to develop positive workspace environments using high-quality and cost-effective solutions. With an extensive product selection that includes demountable walls, workplace seating, partitions, storage, and more, we make it simple to equip your workspace with stylish, functional essentials.
Explore our full selection of demountable walls at Collaborative Office Interiors to find the ideal options for your space today.